Skip to main content

FO: Seamless baby sweater


I finished my first FO for my baby!

This is a seamless, top-down raglan cardigan. It's not unlike the sweater I made for Dakota - in fact, the basic sweater is EXACTLY the same; the only difference is in the construction. "Baby's First Tattoo" was knit in pieces and then seamed together (my first seaming job, which was incredibly difficult for me to get right), but this one was knit all in once piece, with only minor underarm seams to be sewn (and I was very happy about how that turned out).

The yarn is Dream in Color Classy (worsted weight). I had a TON of this left over from another thing I'd made last year, so why let it go to waste? It's beautiful (especially in seed stitch), and it's also machine washable (definitely a plus for baby items). I knit the body of the sweater on circs and after trying to Magic Loop the sleeves and getting really frustrated with the screwy cord of my circs popping in my face all the time, I decided just to switch to DPNs and those went much better. I don't care what that one guy from Green Planet Yarn says - Magic Loop isn't always better for everyone. (I was teaching my friend Kaila to make a hat on DPNs and this guy just would NOT SHUT UP about Magic Loop and I felt he was being very holier-than-thou and insinuating that DPNS were inferior, and it was just really annoying because I never asked for his opinion. Sorry, digression. I hate when people don't mind their own business.)

Anyway, the pattern was good - there were some errors, but nothing I couldn't figure out myself. (You'd think by now I've done enough top-down raglans to just design my own!) I decided not to do any closures for the time being, but if I'm so inclined, I may later on add a clasp or a zipper.

I don't plan to make too many sweaters, especially early on, because babies grow out of clothes quickly. Right now, I'm doing the pinwheel baby blanket and have a couple of my own WIPs that I should probably finish before I get too big to fit in them.