Skip to main content

I've watched the ripples change their size but never leave the stream of warm impermanence

I'm moving in two days. Jimmy and I are moving in together to a condo that my parents own, so we're renting it. It's a really gorgeous place, very private, and perfect to set up house and wait for Jolie to arrive. I'm very excited.

So I'm a bit overwhelmed about having to pack up my entire life. Well, not my ENTIRE life - let it be known that I'm a bit of a pack rat. Well, pack rats keep stuff because they think they'll need it later, right? I keep stuff because I'm really too lazy to deal with it, and all of a sudden, the boxes pile up. So, I'm a lazy ass, is the real story. Out of everything I own, I really only want to keep, like, HALF of it - I've already donated over half my wardrobe (which made a sizeable dent, but I still have about 10 garbage bags' worth of clothing that I'm keeping - and yes, that's how I "pack" my closet). I'm donating over half of my bookshelf, and believe me, that breaks my heart more than anything. I've always wanted to be one of those literary academic types with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, but I have to sacrifice for the greater good. I've also - gasp! - gotten rid of ALMOST half of my yarn stash, although it's mostly the acrylic stuff that I bought early on that I haven't used at all since I started learning how to shop for the good stuff, so I'm not going to miss that.

Other than my books, I'm not going to be brokenhearted about anything I'm getting rid of. To be honest, I need to slough off all this extra baggage and minimalize for this "new life" we're starting - leave it all behind, you know? This is a new stage in my life, starting with finally having my own home with Jimmy, the way it's supposed to be, and then in not too long, the arrival of Jolie.

I'm so excited, to be moving and to be having a baby. I was packing up Jolie's clothes today as well, which I haven't looked through in a while, and I just couldn't wait - looking at each little adorable item, I just couldn't wait to see her in them. I've got another 3-D ultrasound in a couple of weeks, and I'm so excited to see my baby's face again - hopefully it will be a clearer shot, and Jolie won't keep trying to hide her face :)

I don't know if Jolie is either really shy, or she's really stubborn, but she's also been avoiding letting Jimmy feel her kick, until yesterday. She would kick me several times in succession, Jimmy would come over and try to feel her kick, and she would just be absolutely still, until he finally gave up and left - and THEN she would kick. And it wasn't a matter of timing, because Jimmy would wait for varying amounts of time every time. It's kind of funny :) But he finally felt her kick three times yesterday, pretty strongly, and he was very excited.

Well, off for more packing and cleaning...