Skip to main content

Reminiscing about the year

If I thought 2008 was insane (which it was), then I suppose 2009 was the only year that could've topped it. I don't remember what I was doing exactly a year ago, or what I was expecting out of the coming year, but I'm fairly certain that this wasn't quite what I'd thought. Did I have a bit of baby fever? Definitely. Did I actually think that I would be sitting here, a new mom, with my pregnancy and childbirth ending up the way it actually did? Absolutely not. Sometimes, truth really IS stranger than fiction.

Anyway, a survey:

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I got pregnant and gave birth (without an epidural!!!) for the first time.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't recall that I officially made any. If I did, I'm sure it was weight-loss-related, and I'm fairly certain that my getting pregnant would have rendered it null and void.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
In addition to myself, a couple of the girls I went to high school with had babies too :) (I think we are all 2009 new mommies.)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, and I am grateful for that.

5. What countries did you visit?
None - I think I spent most of the year on the couch.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Honestly? Money - in that, I hope I can be smarter with my money this year so that I can have more of it. Also, I am looking forward to watching Jolie grow.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
All dates pale in comparison to 8/2/09. This year was truly all about Jolie.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Becoming a mom :)

9. What was your biggest failure?
The way I handled certain relationships in my life... I need to learn how to see people for who they are and not for what I wish they would be.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Gestational diabetes? Does that count?

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I didn't BUY it, but I decided to rent a condo.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My parents and Jimmy's mom, for their love and support for us.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
_____'s reaction to my pregnancy. I forgave, but I don't think I can ever forget.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, baby, Sephora. Um, yeah.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My baby girl :) Every step of the way.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
"Zero" by the YYYs, for no particular reason

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier.
b) thinner or fatter?
Same, actually
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer, but richer in spirit.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising, taking care of myself

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being angry/sad/depressed about things I had no control over

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With all of my families

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
With my new baby :)

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Heroes?

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I've learned that there are more important things in my life to worry about.

24. What was the best book you read?
This is shameful, but I'm not sure I read any new books for most of the year. This past month alone, I read Persuasion. I guess that would be the best one.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Gossip!!!!!

26. What did you want and get?
A settled life, self-acceptance - and that's what I got, in varying degrees.

27. What did you want and not get?
Closure on certain avenues in my life

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't even know what I saw this year. I might've seen a total of two movies in the theatre, and a bunch on tv/dvd.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27, and did absolutely nothing. I might've been so depressed I cried (not because of my age, but BECAUSE absolutely nothing happened... I'd never felt so unremarkable.)

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The happiness of my loved ones

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Mostly comfortable, although I will add that my maternity clothes were way cuter than my normal clothes, and I miss them.

32. What kept you sane?
Napping. Jamba Juice. X-Files.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
David Duchovny :)

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Prop 8, for sure.

35. Who did you miss?
No one? Well, I missed Jolie a LOT when she was in the NICU.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Jolie :)

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Don't worry about the things and people you can't control. It's a waste of your time and energy. Just worry about taking care of yourself, and your happiness will follow.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Look into your heart and you'll find the sky is yours." - Jason Mraz