Skip to main content

30 Things Before I'm 30, Item #1: Learn how to spin yarn

This one wasn't originally a part of my list, but I eventually decided to add this one on to replace a different goal, because I really HAVE always wanted to learn how to do this.

Today, my sister-in-law Jen and I set out for Yarndogs in Los Gatos to take a class on how to spin wool roving into yarn using a drop spindle:


Now why would anyone want to spin their own yarn, when you could totally buy yarn ready-made? Well, you're asking someone who wants to knit her own sweaters and hats even though I could totally buy them ready-made =P It's because you can't always find yarn like that. Or maybe you can, but it's not the weight you want it to be. Or maybe you just enjoy the feeling of making something with your own two hands. Maybe you just like the feel of something soft between your fingers.

At any rate, two years ago, I bought a "Learn to spin" kit that came with the above spindle and roving and a dvd that made no sense to me. I tried Youtube videos, and I just couldn't do it - spinning is something you need your hands for, and it's not always convenient to stop and browse for the next video if you need to be holding something. So I signed up Jen and myself for a lesson with Amy, who teaches the spinning classes at Yarndogs, so she could help us figure this stuff out.

I won't go into the details of how it's done here (because really, how can I explain it very well without just showing you?), but here are some photo highlights. I didn't get any pictures of myself spinning during the lesson because seriously, I had spinning to do. The amount of roving I had didn't produce very much, so I don't know what I'll be able to make with it, but I'm proud of myself nonetheless :)



My little baby hank from the lesson today, plus the rest of my
fiber spun, still wound on my spindle

Yeah, it's not pretty, but I did it!
It's actually quite thick.

The next step is to soak the wool to set the twists.
My yarn will smell like grapefruit!!

Yes, that's the pink tub from the hospital from when Jolie was born.

Currently hanging up to dry

Close-up 1

Close-up 2

Because you get a discount for signing up for a class,
I decided to buy three ounces of this beautifully-colored
Corriedale roving. The colorway is called "Sunflower."
I hope I can make something awesome from this yarn
when it's done :)