Skip to main content

Purple lips: Revlon's Super Lustrous lipstick in Berry Haute and Violet Frenzy

I've been obsessed with purple lipstick lately, and I don't know why. Purple's a favorite color of mine anyway, and recently, I've just been on the hunt for some purple lipcolor.

It started when I noticed Revlon's Liquid Lipstick in Vigorous Violet. But reviews online weren't exactly favorable - apparently it look like it does in the tube when you apply it. This only spurred my obsession, and I turned to regular (not liquid) lipstick to see what I could find.

MAC has a TON. (I ended up locating a brand-new Seasoned Plum, and it's on the way.) But some of them were a little TOO purple - I wanted something wearable. OCC just released a FABULOUS lip tar called Belladonna, but that too was just out of my comfort zone. Plus, I didn't want to spend that much on MAC or OCC in case I hated it.

There WAS a viable MAC lipstick, Up the Amp, that looked promising. But lo and behold, thank god for beauty bloggers! someone found a pretty good drugstore dupe in Revlon's Super Lustrous lipstick in Berry Haute. I googled it, and found a variety of gorgeous girls looking gorgeous in this purpley-berry shade, and I knew it was for me.

While I was there, I noticed a "new shade" called Violet Frenzy, and lucky for me, there's a BOGO50% sale on Revlon at Walgreen's. Success!! Now I own two purple lipsticks. (Do I need two? Probably not. But both are awesome.)

The lighting in my bathroom does not do these lipsticks justice, particularly Violet Frenzy. It's a not-too-bright, slightly-darker fuschia - there's definitely a blue sheen to it. But it goes on a little sheer, so it's much less scary on my lips than it is in the tube. (Seriously - it looks harmless above, but when I first cracked that baby open, I was like, "This might be a little gothy on me.")

And Berry Haute is just a great must-have shade. It's definitely a berry, with a little more purple than red. It's got a cream finish, and is a little more opaque than Violet Frenzy.

Both look great on - not too dark, definitely purple, but not TOO purple. I don't know how long they last, but they both feel comfortable and light on my lips. I am DEFINITELY going to rock this look.

Berry Haute

Violet Frenzy