Skip to main content

Starting Anew

I'm not going to deny that I've kind of fallen out of love with my job over the last few years. Like so many others, I began my career all bright-eyed and wanting to be like Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society (you know, before all the bad stuff happens). Instead, 7 years later, I find that I'm getting dangerously close to becoming Mr. DeMartino from Daria.

I'm not going to make excuses for myself either, however. I know that I have not done all that I could do to be the best teacher that I could be.

Every year, I hope that it will be a different year. A better year. One of the beauties of being a teacher, in my opinion, is that every year is a chance to start over - new batch of students, new chances to make things right. New opportunities to rediscover why I got into this racket in the first place.

This year really will be different - I'm teaching honors freshmen again for the first time in about four years. And I have three sections of them. I mean no slight against the regular-level freshmen I have taught, but it's a different ballgame when the kids have the motivation and the skills for me to carry out some of my more dastardly lesson ideas =P

Sharper kids require a sharper teacher, though. This is no time for me to be a tired, jaded cynic of a teacher. This year is presenting me with new opportunities to push the envelope and try new things. I need to seize these opportunities. I need to rise to the occasion.

So, tomorrow starts a new year. And I'm ready. I've spent all summer being inspired to achieve derby greatness, and now my summer "fling" needs to transfer back to school.