Skip to main content

Down for the count

It's been a while since I did a real, legit blog post, so I thought I'd do one now, since I have a lot of time. Why do I have a lot of time? Because I'm INJURED.

Last weekend, I skated in a team-on-team scrimmage against the BAD skater pool, and I was super nervous because it was my first THING since returning to roller derby, and I know as well as anyone else that BAD skaters aren't ones to mess with. I had ONE goal, and that was to not get injured. (Well, yeah... you can see how well that turned out.)

So it's been over a week now, and I'm ALMOST back to normal. I'm not limping so much anymore, and most of the pressure/swelling has gone. I still have a hard time walking down stairs and I definitely still can't kneel on it without pain. (Which would be a big problem if I were to skate and then fall on it.)

I've been off it completely, which is really hard for me. Ironically, I haven't been running or doing anything other than skating lately anyway, but of course, as soon as I injured myself, I suddenly wanted to do EVERYTHING. I like having the option. I don't like having a body that limits me.

Since my knee has been feeling better, I was hoping to get back to running and stuff, and then this past weekend, I was hit with a really bad cold, and I'm still sick right now. Sore throat, stuffy nose, head spinning -type of sick. Yesterday was actually the first day I've taken off work so far this year (which is a record for me), and I really should be home today, except I can't bear the thought of leaving my kids with a sub for two days in a row. (It usually ends up being way more work to have things ready for a sub than to actually just GO to work.)

So, here I am. Trying not to pass out in the dark while my kids watch The Odyssey. Wish me luck.