Skip to main content

Race recap: Mermaid SF Sirena 10-miler


It was simultaneously not my best run and also a breakthrough run, if that makes any sense. It was not my best in that my pace (16:45) was nothing to write home about, and the first 3.5 miles were quite painful and hard on my knee. But it was a breakthrough in that after about four miles, everything just loosened up and stopped hurting, and for the first time in months, I could actually keep up a semi-regular (if super short) running interval for the rest of the run. I'm pretty sure I ran a negative split, not surprising when you consider that I was hobbling up and down hills before I got to the bridge and everything leveled out.

Oh, the bridge! I've never run across the Golden Gate before, so I was SUPER excited, and that was my whole reason for signing up for this distance. It was a beautiful day - perfect weather for such breathtaking views :) I'm not sure I'll ever do it again, but I'm definitely glad I did it just this once.

I ran this one with my fellow PRGers, Rat Frink, Amanda Commanda (who does a bunch of Mermaid Runs with me), and Physical Terrorist (who did the 5k). I was the last one to finish in our group, but I don't even care, I was so happy just to be able to run again. I feel like things are FINALLY starting to get back to normal.

This is my last race for 2013, I believe (unless I decide to sign up for another one last minute). It's been quite a year, hasn't it?

See you at Disneyland in January.

Official finish time: 2:47:33


I SEE YOU, BRIDGE.
View from on the bridge

Yup.

View of SF from the Marin side