Skip to main content

Onward, ho!

Credit: runDisney
How do I follow up last weekend? There's really nothing that can top that. I have to apologize to all my friends on social media if I keep talking about last week's meet - I'm still on a high from it, and it was such a fabulous moment in my life, that I'm going to hang onto it as long as I can.

But what next? Well, my next big event on my radar is the 2016 Tinkerbell half marathon... but I'm not JUST doing the half marathon, I'm doing the Pixie Dust Challenge, which also means that I'm doing the 10k the day before the half marathon. 19.3 miles in two days. I've done it before, but I was in better shape then.

To be honest, I'm nervous about this too. I've done dozens of half marathons before, but this will be my first - and only - big race since my most recent knee injuries, and it will be my last Disney race for the forseeable future, so I'm feeling extra pressed to be in shape for this race. And so far, I haven't been able to train for it because I've been focusing so much on training for my meet, and that itself was riddled with knee issues.

What now? I only have enough time left to really make sure that I train the distance. Trust me, I'm not planning any PRs this time. I just want to finish on time. I've gone into half marathons with far lower levels of fitness, but the one thing I can't fake is the toll the distance takes. Literally, whenever I haven't trained the distance, the bones in my feet will start hurting by mile 9 or 10, even if I'm just walking, without even trying to run. At this point, I need to prioritize the distance, and just make sure that I go a fast enough pace to finish on time. No heroics - just FINISH. That means I need to be hitting that mileage no matter how long it takes, whether I have to walk, tiptoe, or crawl.

I WILL DO THIS.

This might very well be the end of my long-distance running "career." Depending on how this goes, I might have to strike half marathons from my list as well, and just focus on getting good at 5k's and 10k's. But for now... I have this one LAST big goal, and I'm determined to see it through.

Send me your good vibes, you guys. I need my knee to hold out just a few weeks more.

Faith, trust, and pixie dust.