Skip to main content

Onwards and upwards.

I have to try to word this delicately. I don't have, like, a large blog audience or anything, but the fact remains that it IS public, and that ANYONE could be reading it.

I have decided to part ways with my derby league. Without getting into any detail about it, because I want to respect league confidentiality, suffice it to say that I was not happy, and felt that my only course of action was to remove myself from what was turning into a volatile situation.

There are many I'm leaving behind whom I adore and have come to respect and trust, and those individuals have been very supportive of my reasons for leaving. I am disappointed that the non-derby part of derby has gotten in the way of my enjoyment and my participation, but apparently this is not an uncommon phenomenon. (I refer you to the derby documentary, Hell on Wheels.) In leaving, I have caused some individuals to be very upset with me, and I guess that's to be expected. No one's safe from conflict, especially in matters of roller derby.

My immediate plan is to pass the WFTDA test at the end of bootcamp and actually try out for SVRG - I feel like I owe it to myself to try out, since I've wanted to skate with them for so long. If that doesn't pan out, then I will hunt around for other new derby leagues - I know one of my fellow repeat bootcampers was trying to start a league on the peninsula, so I might see how that's going, or if there's anything else nearby. (Hey, how about Milpitas? We even have a rink already! =P)

I'm saddened and disappointed about how things have ended, but I think everything happens for a reason.