Skip to main content

Goals

Well, what now? My last two years have been so defined by running goals that, now that I don't have any further running goals, I'm not really sure what I'm aiming for. And the year before that was a whole lot of derby.

Aside from an ultra (which I don't feel ready for), I've done every running distance - I don't really want to try NEW races (obstacle courses and glow-stick runs don't interest me); I want to do everything I've already done, but BETTER.

I want to become a better derby player, for sure. I have a lot of ground to make up, thanks to my injury, but I think I was doing well up until the moment I got injured (literally up until that moment, since I got injured in a scrimmage). I have signed up for some ambitious bouts for Rollercon this summer, and I intend to rise to the challenge.

Otherwise... right now, it's hard to think of long-term goals when my short-term goals are the crucial thing: I've been sick with a bad cold for the last week, so it feels like nothing matters until I recover from that, and my knee is feeling better, but I won't know how it holds up until I get back on skates. :/

I'm also trying to get back on the wagon in terms of Paleo-eating. Why do I keep trying even though I obviously have such a hard time staying on-track? Because I know it's what my body needs most. It's how my body works best. And I can stay on it as long as I get a good head of steam going, but that's the hardest part, usually - building momentum. Once it becomes normal, habitual, it's not that big of a deal. It's the switchover that is the hardest. So far, I've been doing okay, but that's really only because I've been so sick that I've had NO appetite, which makes it pretty easy to stay away from the stuff that normally is so tempting to me. Also, my body has felt so bogged down and bloated and gross lately that all I want is to eat clean right now.

Hopefully this will have the great effect of helping my body perform more efficiently so that when I eventually get around to race training again, it won't be such a climb to get back into (my) peak condition. I am taking a bit of a racing hiatus (well, aside from the fact that I've got a race this weekend and next, but they're just fun runs for me), and I just want to 1) build my fitness back up (I'm going to CrossFit again), and 2) get better at derby. If I take good care of myself, I could run for the rest of my life, but derby will always have a shelf life. In fact, it's very likely that this year will be my last year of derby at all, for reasons that I can't yet reveal.

Anyway... I had a pretty prolific 2013. I hope that 2014 will be even better.