Skip to main content

Whole30, Day 21

Paleo mayonnaise. Instagram helps me be artsy.
  9 10 days to go! (Forgot there are 31 days in May)

Still going strong, although I think I'm looking forward to having a little more breathing room to include things that have honey/agave/vanilla in my diet.

I've been feeling great, and where I'm noticing changes the most is in my athletic performance - my runs have been going really well, aside from some knee pain (as I readjust to running on concrete). I've also noticed that clothes I've had that were too snug before are now actually on the loose side.

One thing, though, that I'm kind of worried about is that lately I've been waking up during the night sporadically. It's not always at regular intervals, and it's not always every night, but I'm definitely noticing that I've been waking up in advance of my alarm clock almost every time.

It could be a number of things - my body is still adjusting to my new nutrition habits, my room isn't completely pitch black, I sleep next to my daughter, who is a restless sleeper herself, etc. - but I wish I could just sleep straight through the night. I'm definitely still feeling rested and energized throughout the day, especially in comparison to how I was feeling before, but sometimes it's disconcerting to wake up in the middle of the night. Especially since my first instinct is to think that it's time to wake up already. So last night, I woke up sometime around 12:30 in the morning, and realized that I still had over five hours to go. (I have NO idea how I used to manage going to bed AT 12:30. Crazy.)

All in all, I feel great. :) I have no regrets, even though I miss ice cream sometimes.

Recipes I made this week:
- I can't post this online, because it's from a book, but the recipe for Coconut-Pineapple "Rice" (cauliflower rice) from the Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans book. It's AMAZING.
- From the same book, the Slow Cooker Kalua Pork. (Because Michelle Tam recommended them together.) Also amazing.
- I also made Thai Curry (because it was recommended with the rice), and it's something I throw together myself, that I've always loved in the past. I use coconut milk, red curry paste, canned bamboo shoots and canned straw mushrooms (check the labels to make sure they're not soaking in something weird), chicken, sweet potato chunks, and bell pepper strips. I also throw in a few dashes of Paleo-friendly fish sauce (which is probably not Whole30, but *shrug*) and coconut aminos.
- Mayonnaise recipe from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed
- And using that mayonnaise, the Dreamy Avocado Dressing from It Starts With Food.

I also made myself lettuce burgers using grass-fed ground beef and just salt and pepper, topped with my mayo, mustard, and Tessemae's Ketchup. Have I mentioned how much I love Tessemae's? I LOVE Tessemae's. They are not giving me free stuff to say that. (Although, now that I've said it, I would gladly accept free stuff after the fact. *winks into cyberspace*) One of my favorite things off-Paleo was burgers with mayo, mustard, and ketchup, and this tasted fantastic.