Skip to main content

Month of Blog, Day 14: A Non-Fictional Book


If I've learned anything in the past few months, it's that I'm ultimately going to gravitate toward whatever is easiest and most convenient. While I'm deep in thought and staring at the ceiling, a Jenny Craig commercial comes on, so here we go. Cordless in hand, I dial.

Kirstie Alley answers and shrieks, "Yay! Where else can you lose weight and eat fettucine?"

I shriek too, hanging up the phone.

Five tries later, I finally get through her whole recorded greeting without exploding into laughter. I make an appointment with a local center for later this morning.

As I slowly drag my stiff, sore body up the stairs to get ready, I refrain from my usual inner dialogue, which generally sounds like, Yay, me, for trying! Let's have a cookie! I've let myself get away with far too much stupid, self-destructive behavior over the years because I gave myself mad props for effort, not success. The endeavor doesn't count in this situation. There's no more partial credit; I have to win the game.

I undress for the shower and glance at myself in the bathroom mirror. There's much work to be done here. Right before he left for Denver, Fletch said, "Do, or do not. There is no try." I thought it the most profound statement he'd ever uttered... even after I found out Yoda said it in The Empire Strikes Back.

Today I choose do.