Skip to main content

Month of Blog, Day 21: A Recipe

I'm really not much of a cook. All my recipes are from, like, Food Network. However, I love making sweets, and I especially love doing holiday sweets - on more than one occasion, I've done goody baskets/boxes for my friends and family at Christmas time.

The holidays are a huge deal for me (as I'm sure they are for a lot of people). The air just feels like magic. (Well, once you are clear of the manic, stressed-out shoppers suffering from tunnel vision.) Twinkling lights, cinnamon in my hot chocolate, the huge spreads of food during our holiday celebrations, watching my little cousins eyeing the presents... it's a fun time for me because I'm very big on family. And eating. And also, December is my birthday month, so in the midst of all the holiday-ness, I get to celebrate being alive as well. 

This white chocolate peppermint fudge has always been a big hit. I wish I could say it was my recipe, but alas, I got it from a holiday baking recipe magazine that I spotted in the checkout line at the supermarket. It ended up being one of the best purchases I've ever made :) The fudge is absolutely buttery and decadent and sweet, so if you're planning on making this to give away, you don't have to cut them into very large pieces, because really, any reasonable person could probably only eat this a bite or two at a time (unless you're my dad, who swigs really strong coffee with all his sweets), so one batch could go a long way. The only downside is that with all the peppermint candy pieces, it's very crumbly and a big sticky, unless you've pretty much crushed the candy into a fine powder, which isn't as fun, because seeing the red and white pieces stuck amidst the vanilla-colored fudge is really, really pretty.



White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
1 1/2 tsp plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
12 1-oz squares of white baking chocolate, chopped
1 jar (7oz) marshmallow creme
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

Line a 9-in square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 1/2 tsp butter; set aside.

In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, sour cream, and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rapid boil; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234 degrees (soft ball stage), about five minutes.

Remove from the heat; stir in white chocolate and marshmallow creme until melted. Fold in peppermint candy and extract. Pour into prepared pan. Chill until firm.

Using the foil, lift the fudge out of the pan. Gently peel off the foil; cut fudge into 1-in squares. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 2 pounds.