Skip to main content

Month of Blog, Day 19: A hobby of yours

A hobby? More like an obsession! I am utterly, madly, totally crazy about makeup. I even keep a makeup blog, though it doesn't get many readers.

I know some people think makeup is frivolous and shallow, but I beg to differ. I don't wear makeup just to be a pretty girl. Makeup, for me, is an art form - other people work with pencils or paint or pastels, so why can't I work with powders and creams and gels and call it art? Makeup isn't just about looking good, it's about being able to change your persona with the stroke of a brush. It's self-expression using your actual self (your face). I love seeing how colors and texture and finish come together. I love how one little thing can completely change my face.

Also, I wear makeup for myself and myself alone. No one's pressuring me to do it. Jimmy couldn't care less (in fact, he wishes I wasn't so obsessed with it). I'm not submitting to a societal expectation. I'm just making myself happy. I don't feel bad about myself when I don't wear makeup, but I do definitely feel awesome when I am wearing it. I feel empowered; my confidence is boosted. And I'm not the only one - there are countless of women for whom one swipe of a brilliant red lipstick makes a huge difference.

My favorite brand is Urban Decay - their tagline is "Beauty with an edge," and that's how I like to think of myself. I'm not a total girly girl - I could give a damn about my nails or my hair. I'm tough. I'm tough, but I like looking pretty at the same time. In particular, I'm obsessed with eye makeup - eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, pigments, glitter, etc. It has the widest range of colors, out of any other category except maybe nail polish (which I'm not into, because it's smelly and you have to wait for it to dry, and it gets messed up really easily).

I try to keep up with the trends - my favorite beauty blogs are Temptalia and Makeup Geek, which do both reviews and makeup tutorials. I have a tendency to stalk the UD counter at Macy's and at Sephora. At any given time, I've got a beat on what products are available exclusively at each location and on the website. They should really hire me :)

Well, for more about my makeup love, please check out my blog (linked above and in the sidebar) - there's a full history of my makeup obsession, my quest for the perfect red, and a full swap list (I love to swap makeup I don't use anymore because otherwise it just sits there.)