Skip to main content

Has anyone seen my lunch? I lost it about two miles back.

Run 3:00, Walk 1:00
Time: 30:00
Distance: 2.1mi

I feel queasy. The 2min interval was suitably challenging, but the extra minute, for mental and physical reasons, was HARD. I barely recovered in between. I mean, I survived it, and ran every interval, but I was NOT comfortable. I wasn't sprinting, but I was definitely approaching a wall there.

I've got some thinking to do, about whether I either want to increase my walk interval (because the running is only going to get harder from here), or to slow down the rate at which I'm increasing my run interval. From here on out, I pretty much am adding one minute (at least!) with each workout, and that might be too much for me to handle. I'm not sure I am ready to run a 4min interval tomorrow. And my marathon training program has its longest run interval at 5mins, and that doesn't come up until the second half, so... do I really need to be able to run a 30min stretch in the next two months?

If I increase every other workout instead of every workout, I will make it to running a 15:00 interval by the time I need to start my training. That should be sufficient, right? The marathon program starts at Run 3, Walk 2, then doesn't change until seven weeks in.

On the other hand, I'm fairly certain I could recover from any run interval in two minutes.

So, I don't know if I should adjust the run intervals, or adjust the walk intervals.

And please don't lecture me about how if I can't run for 3:00, then I shouldn't be attempting a marathon. I'm GOING to do it, and you can't talk me out of it. So just help me make it easier.