Skip to main content

CVS's Beauty 360: The Inside Scoop

Okay, that sounded more exciting than it actually was. On the other hand, I was pretty damn excited.

After school today, I went to the local CVS to pick up something for my baby. I hadn't been in there for the longest time (it used to be Long's Drugs) until this past week, when I suddenly decided that I really wanted to scope out the drugstore brands, since hard times means that I can't be as exclusively high-end as I'd like to be.

I noticed that there was a new section under construction called Beauty 360, and from what I could tell, it was going to feature some high-end brands. The first time I saw it, the gates were actually closed, so I couldn't see inside, but judging from the "skincare lab" that had been set up long before, I thought it would be a bunch of unknown, European, as-seen-on-tv type of stuff. The second time (yeah, I've been in CVS a lot in the last seven days!), the gate was open, so I poked my head in, and to my astonishment, it looked surprisingly like a Sephora or an Ulta. I didn't get a clear glimpse of all the brands, but I recognized Laura Gellar, Cargo, and Vincent Longo. Intriguing!

So today, when I went to CVS, I was hovering in the makeup department when a corporate-looking guy in a suit walked by me, happened to catch my eye, and said in passing, "Just wait till you see what's in here!" and ducked into the Beauty 360. "I TOTALLY would love to see what brands are in there!!" I blurted, a little too vehemently. And he invited me in to show me around! (I know I could've looked up the brands online, but dude, it's ALL about seeing the displays!)

Turns out, he's the Beauty 360 manager. He showed me around - in addition to the brands above, there will be Pop (which I love, and I can only find now at Ulta), Lola (!!!! Sephora used to carry Lola when I was in high school, and I never tried them, but I loved the look of their products), a completely plant-based line of Cargo in addition to the regular line, as well as some REALLY fancy schmancy skincare, hair care, and fragrance lines. I walked around in awe, afraid to breathe on anything. My town is such a suburby boring town with nothing remotely edgy or interesting (such as high-end beauty and glamour) - it's all very suburban family fare. This is seriously the coolest thing to open here, as far as I'm concerned.

We chatted, and I told him that I would like to put in a plug for Urban Decay. He said that they were working on it (!!!!!), as well as Philosophy (!!!!!!) and a bunch of other brands that I usually only find at Sephora, as well as the big three (Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Clinique).

Can you imagine? Being able to get Urban Decay five minutes away from my home??? This is simultaneously the best and worst thing that could ever happen to me :)

For now, though, none of the brands I usually use are there, but there are brands I recognize, and I also like the idea of being able to find high quality brushes and tools. (The ones at drugstores and Target aren't bad, but... sometimes you get what you pay for.)

So, I'm VERY pleased about my sneak peek at the new Beauty 360 opening up in my town, and I think that they better get used to seeing my face there a lot. It's a good thing that I've got a tax return coming soon...