Skip to main content

Month of Blog, part 2 - Day 3: A song that makes you happy

I have a feeling that it's going to be impossible to choose only one song for nearly all of these topics.

There are different kinds of happy, of course. And I have a different song for each type:

Proud-of-myself happy: "Queen Bitch" - David Bowie
I always imagine myself crossing the marathon finish line to this song, and then sauntering off into the sunset. (Because it WILL take me that long to finish one.) I think I get this idea from the end of Wes Anderson's film, The Life Aquatic, because it has Bill Murray walking off triumphantly at the end to this song.

Cheerful, peppy happy: "Say Hey (I Love You)" - Michael Franti and Spearhead
This isn't my usual style of music, but I can't help feeling happy when I hear this song on the radio.It's just so bouncy and happy!


Peaceful happy: "Playground Love" - Air
Air is just great chill out music. This song in particular languishes in its rhythm and vocalizations. This isn't a song you listen to when you want to get up and go - it's what you listen to lying in the bath tub with candles lit all around you, with your eyes closed. It's also quite sexy, not in lyrical content, but in mood.

Kick-some-ass-I'm-motivated happy: "Kiss with a Fist" - Florence and the Machine
Speaking of "get up and go"... I love this song. It rocks! It's kind of comically violent - I know some people have criticized it as glorifying domestic violence, but I feel like the violence is so extreme (breaking legs, setting the bed on fire) that it can't possibly be taken seriously. I think it's cartoonish. At any rate, this song just rocks hard, and this one always goes on my workout mix.